October 24, 2020


Clifton Baptist Church

cbcAccording to the story that has been passed down, a Baptist missionary church was organized in the home of George W. Tillett, who became the first deacon. The records of the Potomac Baptist Association show that the Clifton Baptist Church was admitted to the Association in 1875. In the same year, the Trustees of the Church, purchased a lot 100’ x 100’ from slaves who had been given the land when they were freed. A one-room frame building was constructed on the lot. This building was removed in 1909. The cornerstone of the present building was set on November 24, 1910 in a Masonic ceremony conducted by Clifton’s Acacia Lodge. It was completed in 1912, with money and labor provided by the church members. Clifton Baptist Church has been in continual operation since 1875. Church services are held every Sunday at 10:30 AM. A nursery is provided.