October 24, 2020

CLIFTON PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH

The Clifton Presbyterian Church

CPCImmediately after the Civil War, a group of people from Clifton, New Jersey, came to this area and established the village of Clifton. In 1868 a Sunday school was organized in the house still standing, at the corner of what is now Pendleton Avenue and Chapel Streets.

On the last day of 1870, the cornerstone of the present native stone structure was laid. It was completed in 1872 and brought a place of worship to this community from that day to the present. Outside today, beneath the bell tower, you can see the beautiful old wooden doors that used to be the main entrance to the sanctuary, and the stained glass window above the old narthex. This rose window design itself is taken from the jeweled mosaic cross on the tomb of the Roman Emperor, Justinian, which is in Ravenna, Italy. The window was made visible from the interior of the sanctuary during the remodeling and re-visioning which was completed by Christmas 2006.

The new addition provides a Fellowship Hall with a large, quality kitchen and bright classrooms for Christian Education and weekday preschool classes. The facility is completely handicapped accessible with an elevator. The exterior was carefully designed to complement the historic structure and stone.