October 24, 2020

PRIMITIVE BAPTIST CHURCH OF CLIFTON


Primitive Baptist Church of Clifton

primitiveThe Clifton Primitive Baptist Church, the first African-American church in Fairfax County, was built in 1871 by emancipated slaves on land their former owner bequeathed them. The last regular worship service at the Church took place in 1957. In the years that followed, lack of use and general wear on the building left it in a state of disrepair. Concerned that this significant part of Clifton’s history would be lost, a community came together to restore the church benefiting from a grant from the state as well as many in-kind donations and much volunteer labor. Although owned by the CUB Run Primitive Baptist Church, the church in Clifton is maintained by the Clifton Betterment Association and is still opened for weddings and the occasional worship service.